Saturday, May 14, 2011

Truth in advertising: The REAL miracle

Miracle Whip has broken the cardinal rule of advertising. Granted, they're used to breaking cardinal rules. The first one they broke is "Don't make a condiment that tastes like shit." This latest flouting of standard rules is "Don't say anything negative about the product you're advertising." Watch this ad.


Finally! A commercial with honesty! Granted, there are still some lies in there. I mean, who actually does like Miracle Whip? I remember vividly the last time I ate Miracle Whip. It was by accident. I took a bite of a sandwich and thought the mayo had gone bad. Then I realized it was Miracle Whip and had wished it was mayo that had gone bad.

In all honesty, I do like the commercials. It takes some juevos...big, smelly, rotten juevos used to make Miracle Whip, to make a commercial denigrating the very product you wish to promote. I think that says something about us as consumers. We've gotten to the point that we can see through the bullshit that convinced people to buy cigarettes in the 50's.

And candy. I would recommend lots and lots of candy.Ka-ching!

Apparently we're more sophisticated than our predilection for shows like Jersey Shore would indicate. We appreciate honesty, and admitting the truth. We also appreciate thinly veiled double entendres.


Wow. Just wow. That was blatant. I haven't seen an add so suggestive since I've watched Go Daddy try to get stuff approved for the Super Bowl. With the complete paranoia our nation has in terms of anything sexual, especially since we got a microsecond glimpse of Janet Jackson's mangled tit, I can only imagine the look on the censor's face when he or she saw this ad.

 Yeah, something like this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment