Sunday, December 9, 2012

Cologne/Perfume commercials stink

Have you watched any cologne or perfume commercials lately? For pushing something that is supposed to make you smell nice for the opposite sex to entice them to give you sex, the commercials themselves sure do stink.

Take this one:

This is an ad playing right now for Armani Code. It's ridiculous. How do I know? I wear Armani Code and I have not once had a super model throw herself at me. A few regular models, of course, but no super models.

It could have something to do with the fact that unlike the guy in the ad, the only six-pack I have is of Mt. Dew.

Nah, that couldn't be it. The cologne is either defective or the ad is overstating it's effectiveness.

But this is standard fare for cologne and perfume ads. They generally seem to be filmed in muted tones while the actor or actress tends to spout off in something rather random and, at best, barely relevant to the topic at hand.

But of course, this one is the best example of WTF ads.

Muted tones: Check. Random statements? Check. Complete lack of any sense being made. Check and check again.

Seriously, what the hell is this all about!? The best thing about this is I saw the SNL spoof prior to seeing the real ad. I thought they were just making fun of the genre of ads, until about a week later I saw the real thing. My response was "Holy crap, those ads are REAL!?"

Seriously, I don't get it. How do these ads work? Are the ad execs thinking that women will see Brad Pitt and instantly lose all cognitive abilities other than "Brad pretty. Buy Chanel."? I think women, and people in general, are smarter than that.

Then again.....maybe there IS something to their line of reasoning. *runs out to buy perfume*


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Happy New Year! Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back. Thanks!

    Aaron Grey
    aarongrey112@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me - there's a reason my TV is OFF from the end of the World Series until April...

    ReplyDelete